Faculty Recruitment: An Assistant Professor in the Hokkaido University Museum, Hokkaido University
We invite applications for the position of Assistant Professor, in the Hokkaido University Museum, Hokkaido University.
Assistant Professor in the Division of Research.
A 5-year term, a possible 5-year re-appointment. The review for his/her accomplishments and achievements should be required before the 10-year term to move to a permanent position.
3. Research Field Requested:
Biodiversity study based on botanical specimen
4. Job Details (duties, subject responsible for, etc):
・Research and education that utilize academic specimens and resources.
・Management of academic specimens and the database.
・Museum and outreach activities through exhibitions, seminars, and other media.
・Supports for the activities of museum volunteer.
・He/she belong to any Graduate School concurrently with the museum and will give lectures in the Graduate School.
・He/she will teach general education and curator training courses.
(1) Applicants are required to have or will have a doctoral degree or Ph.D. prior to the appointment date.
(2) Applicants must have the knowledge and experience of museology and museum activities.
(3) It is desirable to have the qualification of the curator.
(4) Foreign applicants must have the ability of Japanese language for museum activities.
(5) Applicants are expected to give lectures in English in the Graduate School.
6. Desired Starting Date:
April 1, 2019 or as close as possible.
7. Probation Period:
The probation period is three months
The salary will be determined in accordance with the regulations of Hokkaido University.
9. Working Form;
Discretionary labor system for professional work
*The working hours for a day is deemed as 7 hours and 45 minutes.
10. Health Insurance
The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Mutual Aid Association, Employees Pension, Workers’ Accident Compensation Insurance and Employment Insurance
11. Name of Recruiting Institution:
12. Application Materials:
(1) Curriculum Vitae (free format with an attached photo), including name, birth date, present address, contact information (e-mail, phone etc.), educational background since the graduation of high school, employment career, the title of Doctor thesis (with date and organization), rewards and punishments, and so on.
*Applicant who has been employed by Hokkaido University from April 1, 2013 (any positions, including Part-time Lecture, TA, TF, RA and Short-term Support Assistant, etc.) should provide full details of your employment history.
(2) List of accomplishments and achievements (original papers, books, reviews and others). The papers must be specified according to with/without peer review. The corresponding author of each paper should be indicated. If the publication is in press, attach the certification of the publication.
(3) Offprints or photocopies of representative publications (five papers).
(4) Description of research achievements and future research plan (about 3 pages in A4 format).
(5) List of others: teaching experience, activities in academic societies, list of competitive research grants, experience of museum and related activities, public contributions, etc.
(6) Aspirations for museum activities (about 2 pages in A4 format).
(7) A list of two references (The applicant does not contact them).
13. Application Deadline:
November 1 (Thursday), 2018(JST). Late application will not be accepted for any reasons.
Head of the Personnel Commission
Prof. Mitsuhiro Nakagawa
Administration office, the Hokkaido University Museum
Kita 10 Nishi 8, Kita-ku, Sapporo, 060-0810 Japan
*Application materials must be submitted by registered mail with “Application for Assistant Professor” in red ink on the front face of envelope.
**All application materials will be only used for the purpose of selection and strictly scraped after the selection.
The administration office
The Hokkaido University Museum
Phone: +81-11-706-2568, Fax: +81-11-706-4029
16. Selection process:
The selection will be made based on application review. During the procedure, we will ask some of candidates. In addition, candidates will be notified once a decision has been made that a face-to-face interview must be conducted. It is noted that travel costs are not covered for interview attendees.
(1) We explicitly invite women qualified in the research field to apply.
(2) The website of the Hokkaido University Museum is as follows: